How to Create Custom URL Categories
This document describes the steps to create a Custom URL Category list, use the list in a URL Filtering profile, and then applying the profile in a security policy.
- For PAN-OS 4.1 and 5.0, go to Objects > Custom URL Category and click Add
For PAN-OS 6.0 and 6.1, 'Custom URL Category' has been renamed as 'URL Category' and moved under Objects > Custom Objects:
- Fill in the Name, Description, and the URLs of the category members (one per line).
Note: A list of URLs can also be imported from a file.
To apply the the custom category to a URL filtering profile:
- Go to Objects > Security Profiles > URL Filtering and click Add.
- Name the profile and select the custom category.
Note: The newly created category appears in the Category list with an asterisk next to it.
- Optionally, add URLs to the Allow/Block lists as appropriate.
To apply the URL filtering profile in a security policy:
- Go to Policies > Security
- Select or create a security policy
- Select the custom profile for URL Filtering, under Profile Setting:
The Palo Alto Networks firewall will process the filter as follows:
- Block list
- Allow list
- Custom category
- Pre-defined category