Getting "Unable to install because a newer version of this product is already installed" when manually installing/upgrading GP App 5.2.5-c84 (GA hotfix release) via Windows MSI on top of already installed GP App 5.2.5 (GA maintenance release)
GlobalProtect App 5.2.5-c84 Hotfix has been released for Windows and macOS to address some issues: GlobalProtect App 5.2.5-c84 Hotfix Addressed Issues
When the GlobalProtect App 5.2.5-c84 is manually installed (or upgraded) on top of already installed GlobalProtect App 5.2.5 via Windows MSI, it throws the following message:
GlobalProtect App 5.2.5-c84
This is a Windows MSI limitation because it relies on the upgrade table and ProductVersion for GlobalProtect App 5.2.5-c84 & 5.2.5 is considered the same: Windows Installer ProductVersion Property
- If Windows MSI installation needs to be done, the existing GP App 5.2.5 should be first uninstalled before installing the GP App 5.2.5-c84 Hotfix.
- As a best practice, the GlobalProtect App upgrade should be done using Portal's configuration Allow User to Upgrade GlobalProtect App options.
- Manual installation (or upgrade) of GP App 5.2.5-c84 on macOS using the .pkg file on top of already installed GP App 5.2.5 does not show any issues.
- The Allow User to Upgrade GlobalProtect App options Allow Manually, Allow with Prompt, and Allow Transparently were tested for GP App 5.2.5-c84 upgrade on Windows 10 & macOS Catalina 10.15.5 and all options worked successfully.
- The GlobalProtect App upgrade using Allow User to Upgrade GlobalProtect App options should be first verified for a small number of test users before deploying for all the users in an environment.