Configuration for update server when static update server is used in Firewall and Panorama
- Subscription Service for Dynamic Content Updates provides protection against newly seen threats. In a default setting the URL "updates.paloaltonetworks.com" is used to provide these updates. The dynamic updates come from update servers located across different geographical locations. This results in updates being received from different IP addresses.
- When an organization wants to restrict the updates to only a single Known IP address, then "staticupdates.paloaltonetworks.com" can be used instead of dynamic selection of IP addresses from "updates.paloaltonetworks.com"
- Update Server should never use IP address - by doing so, SSL verification to our servers is disabled which exposes them to a man in the middle attack."
- The article provides configuration guidelines for any Firewall or Panorama wanting to use "staticupdates.paloaltonetworks.com"
NOTE: These changes are effective immediately.
- Any PAN-OS.
- Threat protection license.
- Any Firewall or Panorama.
- For the Firewalls or appliances that connect from outside mainland China and want to continue using the dynamic content server, use the URL "updates.paloaltonetworks.com"
On the Firewalls or appliances that connect from mainland China, modify the URL from "
staticupdates.paloaltonetworks.com" to "updates.paloaltonetworks.cn"
On the Firewalls or appliances that have access to outbound traffic restricted by IP, Use the URL “us-static.updates.paloaltonetworks.com".
NOTE: Avoid using an IP address instead of a URL. Doing so will break the SSL/TLS SNI verification.
- If the Firewall needs to connect to the static update server using outbound Security Policy to limit the IP addresses available for updates, then implement the following change.
[2600:1901:0:669::]:443 and [2600:1901:0:5162::]:443
Allow the current IPv4 address 18.104.22.168:443 as this IPv4 address is valid until July 31st, 2021.
- If any connection issues are found, try the following:
- Continue utilizing "staticupdates.paloaltonetworks.com" until July 31st, 2021 as we will support this server for an easy transition.
- Allow IP address 22.214.171.124.
- Open a support case
- Install Content Updates document describes how to install content updates in detail.
- The article What are the additional IP address when you chose to connect only to static updates provides information about the additional addresses used for a content update.
- Steps illustrated in the flow diagram below to help make correct choices.