Error message: “System Extension Blocked” seen on macOS endpoints during GlobalProtect installation
Created On 03/18/20 21:39 PM - Last Modified 11/14/20 01:14 AM
When you install the GlobalProtect app 5.1.1 and earlier versions for the first time on macOS endpoints running macOS Catalina 10.15.4, the following “System Extension Blocked” notification message appears
- GlobalProtect App versions till 5.1.3
- macOS Catalina 10.15.4
The notification message appears only if your administrator has configured GlobalProtect features such as Enforce GlobalProtect for Network Access or Split Tunneling because both these features load kernel extensions to work. You must enable the system extension for a good user experience. If the extension is blocked from loading, you cannot use the Enforce GlobalProtect for Network Access and Split Tunneling features
Use the following steps to enable the system extensions on your macOS endpoint:
- Select ‘Open Security Preferences’.
- Click the lock icon to make changes and then select ‘AppStore and identified developers’ in the ‘Allow apps downloaded from’ area. Click ‘Allow’.
If the system extension was allowed when the GlobalProtect app was installed for the first time, no additional pop-ups will be displayed when you:
- Disable and enable GlobalProtect app
- Refresh the GlobalProtect app
- Upgrade or downgrade the GlobalProtect app
- Uninstall and reinstall the GlobalProtect app
- Restart macOS after successfully connecting using GlobalProtect
Starting GlobalProtect version 5.1.4 and above, system extensions are used and the above solution is not required. Refer Documentation