How to Collect Logs (logcat) from an Android Phone
Created On 02/07/19 23:58 PM - Last Updated 02/07/19 23:58 PM
While troubleshooting a VPN connection with an Android phone, it might be necessary to examine logs from the phone.
To gather logs (logcat) from an android phone, follow either one of the following processes.
- Install Android SDK from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html. Make sure platform-tools is included (http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/adding-packages.html).
- Install usb driver for the phone (http://developer.sonymobile.com/wportal/devworld/search-downloads/driver)
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. Go to settings, applications, development and tick "USB Debugging".
- Connect usb cable to the phone
- Go to the Android SDK directory (for example C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools)
- Type adb shell
- Type logcat (ref: http://developer.android.com/tools/help/logcat.html)
- Collect the log while trying to connect to the gateway and browse
Using a log app
- Some applications from the play store allow easy access to the logcat log (CatLog and LogCollectors are examples but many other apps can perform the same task)