How to Send a Test Email to Verify Email Profile Settings
- Palo Alto Networks Firewall
- Email Server
- Go to Monitor > PDF Reports > Report Groups and Add a Predefined Report, for this example 'risky-users' was selected:
- Go to Monitor > PDF Reports > Email Scheduler , click Add and enter a name. Select the created Report Group and select the Email Profile to test. (Choose an existing Email Profile or click "New Email Profile" to create one new)
- Click on "Send test email" to verify the SMTP settings.
In the event that the test email fails without an error indication, this can happen if the RCPT TO is an email address outside your organization. Many SMTP servers are configured so that they will not relay emails from unauthenticated sources.
Follow the procedure below to verify if one of the recipients is not supported:
- From your terminal (Linux, Mac) or cmd (Windows) window, telnet to the target SMTP server. Since telnet is not available on PAN-OS, this test should be initiated from your computer and not the Firewall.
$ telnet <server_ip_or_fwdn> 25
Note: If the connection is rejected, either the server is not listening for connections on port 25 or there is a security device preventing the connection from your workstation.
- If the connection succeeds, use the following commands:
HELO <server_ip_or_fwdn> (250 - Hello messages and subsequent 250 messages expected) MAIL FROM: <firstname.lastname@example.org> (250 2.1.0 Sender OK expected) RCPT TO: <email@example.com> (250 2.1.5 Recipient OK expected) RCPT TO: <firstname.lastname@example.org> (550 5.7.1 Unable to relay expected)
SMTP Authentication is not currently supported.